visitors counter

Monday 10 June 2013

One

It's been one month already since I've moved to Dollis Hill. Everything now looks more familiar. The silence in the streets, the rows of semi-detached houses framed with green gardens and black gates, the small food stores in the corner. The first time I've stepped out from the tube station the sun was slightly going down in the late afternoon. My life was a complete tabula rasa. I was like a child who sees the world for the first time. Any small discover filled me up with joy, especially when it was about knocking on a stranger's door. In one month, day after day, I've started filling my life up with the new people I met. New eyes, new laughs, new stories. I've fallen asleep and woken up in a new house for the first time. I've seen the sun going behind the horizon from new windows and I've also seen the sun rising from a double-decker bus. I wouldn't change any single day of the last month. This is where my adventure has started. This is where I've decided to stand still for a while and see what life has to give me. Like a stone in the middle of the river, I stand still with eyes wide open as the water brings twigs and dead trees down to the valley.

The last month has flown away but with an intensity in feelings that is hard to explain. Some things would have taken an entire lifetime to happen somewhere else. I would have reached the same level of consciousness maybe in ten years if I had kept on leading the same life I was living before moving here.   My professor at LJC keeps on telling me that I write with too much passion, too many feelings. "You're from Italy, I know you like to do philosophy. But here, we're simple: describe what you see. And stop  your writing there." He's right, probably my writings go a lot round the houses before getting to the point, but this is how I see life and it costs me such an effort to cut the words down! I wonder what he might think if he read my blog. For sure I'm not the grind of the class, but I'm taking the most out of it, too. Maybe it won't be my way to become a travel writer, or maybe yes, nobody knows. But for today, I want to leave the future apart and just be grateful for all I've had until now. Starting from my dinner, which is in the oven right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment