visitors counter

Monday 6 May 2013

In the place it has to be.

The sky il almost completely dark blue, only a shade of light peers out on the horizon, a plane flying over my head leaves two white lines behind it. It's a warm springtime evening in London, I step out in the garden to take my laundry inside, but the atmosphere is too moving to be ignored. Today I had a very busy day. I went to Woolwich Arsenal to see a room I might rent for the summer - the journey took me an hour by tube and almost half an hour walking on a rise, in a foreign neighborhood, feeling the highest anxiety EVER as it was the very first time for me to go and see a room I might rent, so it might become my home for few months. After the visit, I decided to come back by bus even if it would have taken me longer. I was there, sitting upstairs in the front line of the double-decker, glued to the mirror, joyful as a child the first time you take him to see an aquarium. I don't feel like a stranger in these foreign streets, corner after corner I'm greed to see new places, new colors and faces. Maybe I won't ever see any of them again, but in that very moment everything is just in the place it has to be. And then, after an hour of sharp turns, trees scratching the top of the bus and children yelling silly songs behind me, here I am: my favorite place in the World. I cannot explain what happens to me when I see it. I just feel so full of life, until the bottom of the deepest hole of my heart, everything inside me is full of this place. Only here, I can breathe peace, harmony and balance. 


My favorite place in the World.

I stepped out of the bus just before crossing Westminster Bridge and I turned left, walking on the riverside until Lambeth Bridge and then decided to stop here to do one of the most beautiful things I ever did in my life. I entered a red phone box, inserted the coins, dialed the number and hold on. "Hello?" The voice of my grandmother on the other side of the receiver sounded at the same time so far away and so close to me. We spoke for few minutes, the line was not very clear and for some reason the phone rejected the coins I tried to put into it. In the overall excitement, I was talking so fast and both of us were talking so loud that I couldn't help ending the phone call with a laugh. I kept this smile with me all day long and I look forward to do this again. 

The red phone box. 


1 comment:

  1. cioè.. tua nonna risponde al telefono dicendo: "Hello?"

    ReplyDelete