visitors counter

Tuesday 7 May 2013

A thousand faces.

Today I've seen something like a million faces. In the tube, in the streets, in the shops, faces everywhere. Young, old, Black, White, Indian, Chinese. People sleeping, reading, listening to music, talking, texting, going nuts. People everywhere. People wearing sporty, poshy, and a lot - A LOT - just wearing... AWFULLY. Sometimes I find myself wondering if they even have mirrors at home. Among all these thousands of people you can easily spot tourists: they are the ones who stop in the middle of the sidewalk or on the zebra crossing because they absolutely need to take a picture beside a double-decker bus; tourists are everywhere, in the corner of the streets, loaded with shopping bags and Starbucks glasses. They are slow: when they're walking, and even when they're about to get a sit on the tube. I noticed that only few of them manage to do so at the first try, because there's always someone faster than them at catching the free seat. London tube is like a monster and you have to fight against it for survival. You have to fight against endless corridors, where the walls are decorated with mosaics made of tiny square-shaped tiles that literally hypnotize you after the first ten steps. You have to keep on walking even when talented buskers are playing beautiful songs and you'd like to stop and listen to them: if you stop, the crowd will just step on you and pull you on the escalators anyway. After spending one hour of my life in such a nuthouse, I arrived in Dollis Hill. It's a very nice neighborhood in the North West of London. As I was early for my appointment, I decided to have a look around and after walking a little bit without any destinations, I found a very peaceful place: Gladstone Park. It's a huge green area on the top of a hill, with walking paths, football pitches and endless green meadows. I was too tired to climb the hill so I stopped on a bench, reading a book. 

Gladstone Park in Dollis Hill.

I was sitting there, with fresh air smoothing my cheeks and this green natural carpet in front of my eyes and I couldn't think about anything else but how life is beautiful and full of surprises: when you're tired of people and noise, she gifts you with a peaceful place where your eyes and ears could finally get some rest.

2 comments:

  1. Fede, riesco quasi a sentire da qui la fresca brezza delle ultime righe. Brava!

    ReplyDelete